Digital Forensics using Open Source Tools (OST) is a five day adventure into digital forensics of Windows systems using exclusively open source and command line Linux tools.
In addition to the many fine and sophisticated tool suites that are available, there are a wide range of free or open source tools. Given the perceived complexity of configuring and using some of these tools, they are often an overlooked resource. This course is designed to introduce students to bootable environments, with emphasis on DEFT (Digital Evidence and Forensics Toolkit). Using a command line interface, students will learn the techniques to examine files and structures at the byte level, how to interpret various structures, navigating a file system within an image from the command line, data acquisition and verification using command line tools, file recovery, data carving, and timeline construction. In addition, students will encounter many of the 150+ packages installed on DEFT and several command line tools to include sleuthkit tools, bulk extractor, log2timeline, and commands built into the Linux operating system. The course will demonstrate how these tools can be used to conduct effective digital forensic acquisitions, examinations and digital triage.
This class is aimed for those who want to learn about the underlying information that sophisticated tool suites interpret and present to the examiner, and for those who are interested in expanding their capabilities.
Topics covered but not limited to:
- Selecting a bootable USB environment (comparing DEFT, CAINE, and Kali Linux)
- The DEFT environment and overview of tools available, with emphasis on those tools used through the course
- Data acquisition using open source tools
- Data verification
- Introduction to built-in command line tools
- Data structure examination
- Command Line navigation of FAT and NTFS file systems
- Date and time calculations
- File extraction techniques
- Data carving techniques
- Specialized built in tools
- Sleuthkit command line toolkit
- Reporting techniques
- Introduction to scripting processes
Registration is Now Open!(Limited to 20 Students)
WHEN: May 6 – May 10, 2019
Existing IACIS members simply log in with your credentials and go to the products page to purchase and register for the course.
For non-IACIS members, the membership fee is waived with the purchase of the training course; however, to register for the course you must complete a membership application at the time of purchase.
Apply for membership and purchase the course on the PRODUCTS PAGE.
COST: $1,495 US Dollars
- Cancellation of this class may occur if there are insufficient students registered. In the event of a cancellation, personnel will typically be notified by email within 48 hours of the registration closure date. IACIS is not responsible for any individual expenses incurred as a result of a cancellation. The limit of IACIS financial liability is a full refund of the course fee.
****Payment MUST BE RECEIVED at least 45 days prior to the first day of class. Any payment arrangements other than payment through the website or payment via invoice must be approved by the IACIS Treasurer prior to admittance into the course. Please contact the treasurer for questions and approval (email@example.com). Cancellations within 45 days from the start of class to 30 days from the start of class will be subject to a $150 cancellation fee. There will be no refunds within 30 days from the start of class.****
* On-Site Check-in Times (student pickup of equipment, ID card, IACIS info) are:
Sunday, May 5, 2019 : 1800 – 2100
Monday, May 6, 2019: 0700 – 0800
* Please make arrangements to arrive in time to check-in so that you may be in class promptly the first day.
Please read the following notes regarding this class:
- Classes begin at 8:00 AM ET and conclude at 5:00 PM ET, each day, with a one hour lunch break. Classes will end at 4:00 PM ET on the last day of class. Please do not arrange for departing flights prior to 7:00 PM ET to allow time for travel to the airport and any security clearances.
- The dress code for the conference is business casual (collared shirts and slacks).The wearing of shorts, flip flops, tank tops, etc. is not allowed in the classroom. Personal computers are not permitted in the classroom. Students are required to attend all classes to successfully complete the program. Students who fail to meet the attendance requirements will not be issued a certificate at the conclusion of the program.
The 2019 course will be taught at the Caribe Royale Hotel, 8101 World Center Drive, Orlando, Florida 32821 (USA). This hotel has much more conference space than our previous hotel. Additionally, it’s closer to the Orlando International Airport, has a much larger pool, spacious workout facility and is very close to Disney World and Universal Studios.
You will find the information for your online reservation link below. If you have questions or need help with the link, please do not hesitate to ask. We appreciate your business and look forward to a successful event.
Rates are valid for the following dates: 4/19/19 thru 5/16/19
Caribe Royale Hotel is offering a special group rate of $121/night(US Government Rate)
Last day to book at the special group rate: 4/19/19