IACIS requires each CFCE certificant to satisfactorily recertify every three years. The proficiency exercise is one element of the recertification process, which must be completed in the third year from the initial date of certification or last successful recertification. The proficiency exercise (an objective assessment based on a set of general knowledge questions from the CFCE exam) is solely based on the current CFCE Core Competencies .
As of January 1st 2018 our recertification process has changed. All members should register via their member profiles, by clicking the Recert Now button contained in their profile. Click here to access your profile.
The entire Recertification Application is now completed online.
When you are ready to Recertify you must initiate the process via your member profile.
You must have your 40 hours of continuing education credits prior to attempting to recertify. You may not attempt the Recertification Exercise until you have completed your 40 hours of continuing education credits and submitted a complete application. So there is no confusion: Prior to October 31st in the year your Recertification is due, you must have submitted a complete and valid application and have taken and passed the Recertification Exercise.
To prevent your application from being denied, download the Recertification Checklist below to ensure your submission meets all the requirements:
Download the RECERTIFICATION CHECKLIST
The Recertification Period is open from February 1st through October 31st of every year.
Each IACIS CFCE certificant must recertify in the third year following their original certification or last recertification date. By October 31st of the third year, 23:59 (GMT), the certificant must satisfy the recertification requirements as listed below. Each certificant must recertify every three years as outlined in the IACIS Certification Policy.
If you have questions about the process or requirements please email: CertAdmin@iacis.com
If you have exercise specific questions (about actual test content) email email@example.com.
DO NOT POST TEST CONTENT QUESTIONS TO THE LIST SERV!
All requirements must be met at the time of application to recertify.
- One proficiency exercise must be successfully completed in the third year following initial certification or recertification. The exercise only counts when taken in the final year of certification period.
- Previous three years dues paid (if IACIS member), Recertification Fee* paid (if non-Member or delinquent in any previous dues year).
- Forty (40) hours of continuing education in the field of computer/digital forensics.
- Only classes where attendance is documented and certificates issued will be accepted. No webinars or other undocumented training can be submitted. Certificants must provide copies of completed courses, training certificates, or other documentation to the Recertification Subcommittee when the application for recertification is submitted.
- Certificants who teach related topics in computer/digital forensics,information technology, or investigations may apply formal classroom hours to this requirement. The Recertification Committee reserves the right to verify training documented by a certificant.
- Certificants must demonstrate that they are working in the field of computer/digital forensics accomplishing one of the following:
- Completing at least three (3) computer/digital forensic examinations.
- Supervising or managing a related function
- Completing three (3) IACIS proficiency tests within three years.
- Certificants must read and agree to uphold the current IACIS Ethical Code of Conduct.
Members will be allowed one retest should they fail to successfully complete their first attempt at the Recertification Exercise. Members may only attempt two re-certification exercises in a calendar year. Should a member fail to complete the re-certification requirements and successfully pass the re-certification exercise by the second attempt or 2359 GMT October 31st their CFCE will expire.
If you have not been a dues paying member at any time during your three year certification period, a fee of $150 must be paid to recertify. A requirement of Recertification is having paid dues for the three years your CFCE was valid. Non-Members may continue to recertify but must pay a fee of $150.