The IACIS Mobile Device Forensics Training Program is a 36-hour course of instruction, offered over five (5) consecutive days. The program is designed to provide students with intermediate to advanced skills to analyze and interpret data during cell phone investigations. This course goes behind the popular tools currently in use to reveal the sources of cell phone data used to store evidence. At the completion of the course students will be confident in knowing they can gather and explain all data they have located during their examinations. Students should have some experience in conducting cell phone examinations.
** UPDATE** This class now supports both iOS 11+ and Android 7.0/8+
Topics include but are not limited to:
Acquiring file system and physical images from phones, to include handling and procedures for locked devices
Students will learn how to acquire cell phone data, and the different types of techniques to obtain the most relevant data.
Students will become familiar with accessing locked iOS and Android devices using a variety of techniques including: bypassing software, flasher boxes, and an introduction to JTAG, ISP, and Chip Off.
Students will learn and practice bypassing current Android OS limitations, allowing a physical image from a phone running Kit Kat and higher.
There are multiple hands on practical exercises which include using custom recovery and rooting Android phones to bypass locks. These methods allow for a full physical extraction of the devices which commercial tools cannot gain access to due to operating system restrictions. There is some usage of both Windows command line and Linux to conduct the practicals. All the commands and options are explained in detail and no previous command line experience needed.
Students will learn through hands-on exercises how the file systems are laid out in both iOS and Android, allowing them to find the data they are looking for quickly and be able to interpret it. This knowledge will carry over to new releases of the operating systems; ensuring students can continue to stay current.
Validating data obtained from forensic tools, including data that tools miss – learn to interpret and recognize data from apps phones use.
Students will be able to take any application found on a phone, and be able to recognize, interpret and report on its data. Examples of apps include KiK, Photovault, Snapchat, and the other thousands of chat applications available.
- Students will learn and conduct both manual and automated SQLite recovery methods, ensuring success in their future exams using various tools.
NAND Ram Architecture and storage, carving data from those spaces – learn how cell phones store their data at the physical level, which allows the carving of deleted data and recovery of data from damaged phones, or phone data which has been extracted via methods such as JTAG, ISP, or chip-off.
- Obtaining and processing iOS backup files, both manually and using automated
Viewing and interpreting iOS files such as plists to obtain valuable evidence.
- Using Wi-Fi data as part of investigations.
PREREQUISITE: Basic Computer Forensic Examiner [BCFE] course AND completion of the Certified Forensic Computer Examiner [CFCE] certification are highly recommended, but not required.
CERTIFICATION: Attendance at MDF entitles each member to one attempt at theICMDECertification process. The attempt must be completed within twelve months of attendance at MDF.
Registration is Now Open!(Limited to 35 Students)
WHEN:(Two offerings of this course at IACIS Orlando 2019)
Week 1: April 29 – May 3, 2019 SOLD OUT (WAIT LIST AVAILABLE)
Week 2: May 6 – May 10, 2019
Existing IACIS members simply log in with your credentials and go to the products page to purchase and register for the course.
For non-IACIS members, the membership fee is waived with the purchase of the training course; however, to register for the course you must complete a membership application at the time of purchase.
Apply for membership and purchase the course on the PRODUCTS PAGE.
COST: $1,495 US Dollars
- Cancellation of this class may occur if there are insufficient students registered. In the event of a cancellation, personnel will typically be notified by email within 48 hours of the registration closure date. IACIS is not responsible for any individual expenses incurred as a result of a cancellation. The limit of IACIS financial liability is a full refund of the course fee.
****Payment MUST BE RECEIVED at least 45 days prior to the first day of class. Any payment arrangements other than payment through the website or payment via invoice must be approved by the IACIS Treasurer prior to admittance into the course. Please contact the treasurer for questions and approval (firstname.lastname@example.org). Cancellations within 45 days from the start of class to 30 days from the start of class will be subject to a $150 cancellation fee. There will be no refunds within 30 days from the start of class.****
* On-Site Check-in Times (student pickup of equipment, ID card, IACIS info) are:
Sunday, April 28, 2019: 1800 – 2100
Monday, April 29, 2019: 0700 – 0800
Sunday, May 5, 2019: 1800 – 2100
Monday, May 6, 2019: 0700 – 0800
* Please make arrangements to arrive in time to check-in so that you may be in class promptly the first day.
Please read the following notes regarding this class:
- Classes begin at 8:00 AM ET and conclude at 5:00 PM ET, each day, with a one hour lunch break. Classes will end at 4:00 PM ET on the last day of class. Please do not arrange for departing flights prior to 7:00 PM ET to allow time for travel to the airport and any security clearances.
- The dress code for the conference is business casual (collared shirts and slacks).The wearing of shorts, flip flops, tank tops, etc. is not allowed in the classroom. Personal computers are not permitted in the classroom. Students are required to attend all classes to successfully complete the program. Students who fail to meet the attendance requirements will not be issued a certificate at the conclusion of the program.
The 2019 course will be taught at the Caribe Royale Hotel, 8101 World Center Drive, Orlando, Florida 32821 (USA). This hotel has much more conference space than our previous hotel. Additionally, it’s closer to the Orlando International Airport, has a much larger pool, spacious workout facility and is very close to Disney World and Universal Studios.
You will find the information for your online reservation link below. If you have questions or need help with the link, please do not hesitate to ask. We appreciate your business and look forward to a successful event.
Rates are valid for the following dates: 4/19/19 thru 5/16/19
Caribe Royale Hotel is offering a special group rate of $121/night(US Government Rate)
Last day to book at the special group rate: 4/19/19