Open-source intelligence refers to gathering data from Open-Source Information, Publicly Available Information (PAI), and Commercially Available Information (CAI). This data includes information that you collect lawfully from publicly available sources about organizations or individuals. Law enforcement agencies, cybersecurity professionals, and forensic computer examiners can use OSINT techniques to parse vast amounts of data to supplement their work, resulting in more closed cases and successful investigations. OSINT techniques can help you identify unknown phone numbers, locate wanted suspects, and uncover links and ties you never knew existed. OSINT provides new leads and perspectives and helps colorize an otherwise black-and-white view of a subject- whether a person, a group or an organization of interest.
The IACIS OSINT Course is a comprehensive introductory course in research, collection, exploitation, and analysis. Many investigators uncover significant information during their investigations that can be supplemented with OSINT, PAI, and CAI research. This course will provide you with the most important skills necessary to conduct comprehensive OSINT investigations using the information you encounter daily. Forensic investigators, detectives, research analysts, law enforcement officials, cybersecurity professionals, and many other professions will benefit from the OSINT skills taught in this class. This course will first teach the student how to protect themselves and their organization by providing defensive techniques in the operating environment, including misattribution, managed attribution, and the creation and usage of ‘sock puppets’. The course will also address common legal challenges in collecting, aggregating, and using open-source data. Students then learn basic OSINT research skills and manual OSINT collection methodologies, and explore automation options within the OSINT collection environment. There will be a brief introduction to the dark web and cryptocurrencies exploitation. Various use cases will be explored, ranging from OSINT in support of short-term investigations, to employing persistent techniques to support long-term research, to utilizing OSINT to support live operations. Students will learn how to conduct an OSINT needs analysis for their own organization, enabling safe, legal, and effective implementation of OSINT methodologies in their workplace.
During this comprehensive one-week class, you will learn to:
- Understand what OSINT is and isn’t
- Address any legal considerations within your organization so you can legally use OSINT information
- Employ defensive and offensive OSINT techniques for investigative purposes (OPSEC)
- Use search engines efficiently to locate hidden, hard to find, and deleted information
- Identify individuals online and examine their online presence
- Understand the Dark Web and learn best practice search techniques
- Learn the basics of tracing cryptocurrency
- Examine a variety of records, including:
- Business records
- Public records
- Financial Records
- Use a variety of publicly available platforms for OSINT investigations, including:
- Social media sites and applications
- Messaging platforms and chat applications
- Dating platforms and applications
- Exploit imagery and files found online for various information, including:
- Reverse Image Searching
- Geolocations and Maps
- Translation and Non-Native Language Searches
- Learn how to employ scripting techniques in support of OSINT investigations
- Learn to use OSINT to support tactical mission requirements
- Learn how to stay current in the OSINT space
- Learn how to conduct an OSINT Needs Analysis for your organization
WHEN: April 22-26, 2024
COST: $2,495.00 US Dollars
Classroom laptops will be given to the students to take home and keep.
Existing IACIS members: Log in with your credentials and go to the Products page to purchase and register for the course.
Non-IACIS members: Membership fee is waived with the purchase of the training course; however, to register for the course you must complete a membership application at the time of purchase. Purchase training course HERE.
****Payment MUST BE RECEIVED at least 45 days prior to the first day of class. Any payment arrangements other than payment through the website or payment via invoice must be approved by the IACIS Treasurer prior to admittance into the course. Please contact the treasurer for questions and approval (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Cancellations within 45 days from the start of class to 31 days from the start of class will be subject to a $150 cancellation fee. There will be no refunds within 30 days from the start of class.****
* On-Site Check-in Times (student pickup of equipment, ID card, IACIS info) are:
Sunday, April 21, 2024: 1800 – 2100
Monday, April 22, 2024: 0700 – 0800
* Please make arrangements to arrive in time to check-in so that you may be in class promptly the first day.
Please read the following notes regarding this class:
- Classes begin at 8:00 AM ET and conclude at 5:00 PM ET, each day, with a one-hour lunch break. Classes will end at 4:00 PM ET on the last day of class. Please do not arrange for departing flights prior to 7:00 PM ET to allow time for travel to the airport and any security clearances.
- The dress code for the conference is business casual (collared shirts and slacks). The wearing of shorts, flip flops, tank tops, etc. is not allowed in the classroom. Personal computers are not permitted in the classroom. Students are required to attend all classes to successfully complete the program. Students who fail to meet the attendance requirements will not be issued a certificate at the conclusion of the program.
You can find information about hotel booking HERE
If IACIS is unable to hold their 2024 Orlando training event, then all students who have registered and paid, will have the option of a full refund or a reserved seat at the 2025 training event. IACIS is not responsible for any outside expenses (e.g. travel and accommodation) in the event of the training event being cancelled. Anyone who paid for training will receive complimentary membership through the year that his/her training takes place.